The Volunteer Switchboard offers online volunteer-related services through its own websites and through other online platforms such as partners’ websites and social media. The information that follows applies to all of these platforms. The Volunteer Switchboard may amend the Privacy and Cookies Policy from time to time to reflect changes in the law, our Personal Data collection and use practices, the features of our Site, or advances in technology. Therefore, do visit this page regularly to keep abreast of the updates. If you disagree with this Privacy and Cookies Policy, you should discontinue using our services.
Information We Collect
To make it easier to manage your events and/or reservations, you can open user account as a volunteer or an organizer. This allows you to save your personal settings, review previous bookings/events and manage future reservations/events.
As an organizer, you are asked organization name, logo, organization description, causes, website URL, email address, location, etc to provide greater transparency to the volunteer. As a volunteer, when you make a reservation, you are asked for your name, profile picture, email address, etc. You might also be asked for your home address, telephone number – information required by the organiser.
When you visit our websites, even if you do not make a reservation, we may collect certain information, such as your IP address, which browser you’re using, and information about your computer’s operating system, application version, language settings and pages that have been shown to you. If you are using a mobile device, we might also collect data that identifies your mobile device, device-specific settings and characteristics and latitude/longitude details. When you make a reservation, our system registers through which means and from which websites you have made your reservation.
All Personal Data submitted to us should be complete, accurate, true and correct. Failure to do so may result in our inability to provide you with services you have requested and/or to process or administer the Personal Data.
You shall consult your parent or guardian before providing us with your Personal Data if you are under the age of eighteen .
How We Use the Information We Collect
1. Reservations: First and foremost, we use your personal data to complete and administer your online reservation and share these details with the organizer of the volunteering activity to facilitate easy communication of the relevant updates to you.
2. Volunteer reviews: We use your contact information to invite you by email and online reminders to write a volunteer review after your volunteering with the organizer. This helps the organizer to improve the volunteering activity and experience going forth. At this point, your reviews will only visible to the organizer and NOT displayed online.
3. Account administration: We offer a user account facility on our website. We use the information you give us to administer this, allowing you to manage your events/reservations, make future events/reservations more easily and manage your personal settings. Managing personal settings allows you to view events you have previously created/signed up for, and see other information you have provided about the organizer, etc.
4. Marketing activities: We also use your information for marketing activities, as permitted by law. For example:
◦ When you make a reservation with us or set up a user account, we may use your contact information to send you news of similar volunteering opportunities. With your consent – if consent is required under local law – we may also send you other regular newsletters by email. You can opt out, or unsubscribe, from marketing communications at any time using the "Unsubscribe" link in each newsletter, or you can administer your subscriptions through your account (if you've created one).
◦ Based on the information you share with us, individualized volunteering opportunities may be shown to you on The Volunteer Switchboard website. These might be offers that you can book directly on The Volunteer Switchboard website, or third-party sites we think you might find interesting.
5. Other communications: There may be other times when we get in touch by email, by post, by phone or by texting you, depending on the contact information you share with us. There could be a number of reasons for this:
◦ We may need to respond to and handle requests/enquiries you have made.
◦ When you use our services, we may send you a questionnaire or invite you to provide a review about your experience with thevolunteerswitchboard.org.
◦ We may also send you other material related to your reservations, such as confirmation emails, reminder emails for your upcoming reservations, and/or thank you emails.
6. Market research: We sometimes ask our customers to take part in market research. Any additional personal details that you give us as part of the market research will be used only with your consent.
Please note that the confirmation emails and text messages sent after your booking, as well as the volunteer review emails sent after your departure, are not marketing messages. These messages are part of your volunteer reservation process. Respectively, they contain information for your easy access about your volunteering event, and tools to optionally rate that volunteering event after it has ended. You will continue to receive them, even if you have opted out of our marketing messages.
7. Fraud detection and prevention: We may use personal data for the detection and prevention of fraud and other illegal or unwanted activities. VSB may, in compliance with applicable law, disclose Personal Data to protect ourselves against liability, to respond to subpoenas, judicial processes, legitimate requests, warrants or equivalent by law enforcement officials or authorities, to investigate fraud or other wrongdoing or as otherwise required or necessary in order to comply with applicable law, protect our legitimate interests or to the purchasers in connection with any sale, assignment, or other transfer of all or a part of our business or company. We may also, in compliance with applicable law, disclose Personal Data to enforce or apply the terms and conditions applicable to our services or to protect the rights, property or safety of VSB, our users or others.
8. Improving our services: Finally, we use personal data for analytical purposes, to improve our product and services, to enhance the user experience, and to improve the functionality and quality of our online services.
How do we use social media?
We use social media to promote our partners’ volunteering opportunities and to promote, improve and facilitate our own services. For example, we have integrated social media plugins into thevolunteerswitchboard.org website. So when you click on one of the buttons and register with your social media account, information is shared with your social media provider, and possibly presented on your social media profile to be shared with others in your network.
In addition to implementing these buttons, thevolunteerswitchboard.org uses social media by maintaining accounts and offering apps on several social media sites. These social media services may allow you to share information with thevolunteerswitchboard.org. When you register with a social media app, you will be told which information will be shared with thevolunteerswitchboard.org. The information you choose to share with us may include the basic information that’s available in your social media profile, email address, status updates and your list of friends. This information is necessary to create a unique user experience either in the app itself or on our websites. It facilitates such things as personalizing our website to suit your needs, connecting you with your friends on volunteering experience and analyzing and enhancing our volunteering-related services.
We may also enable you to sign in to thevolunteerswitchboard.org services with your social media accounts. Your social media provider will be able to tell you more about how they use and process your data in such cases.
Sharing Your Personal Data
VSB may share your Personal Data with organizers and other third parties we appoint to perform services on our behalf, such as third party loyalty programs, web hosting, data analysis, marketing (also on websites of such third parties), customer care, and related services. All such third parties will be under an obligation to maintain the security and confidentiality of the Personal Data, and to process the Personal Data only in accordance with our instructions.
◦ The volunteering activity that you reserved: In order to complete your reservation, we need to transfer relevant reservation details to the organizer. This may include information such as your name, your contact details, the number of guests volunteering with you and any preferences you specified when making a reservation. This information may also be used by thevolunteerswitchboard.org or the organizers to give you personalized recommendation related to the reservation. If you have a query about your reservation, we may contact the organizer and ask them to handle your request.
◦ Competent authorities: We disclose personal data to law enforcement and other governmental authorities insofar as it is required by law or is strictly necessary for the prevention, detection or prosecution of criminal acts and fraud.
◦ Business partners: We work with partners around the world to distribute or advertise volunteering opportunities and to help our partners distribute and advertise their volunteering opportunities. This may mean that their services are integrated into our website or they have been enabled customized advertisement on our website – or we are advertising on theirs. When you make a reservation on one of our partners’ websites, certain personal data that you give them will be forwarded to us. Certain partners may receive your personal data from us if requested by you. When you make a reservation on a partners’ website, please read the privacy policies on these partners’ websites for more information.
Retention of your Personal Data
We will retain your Personal Data for as long as your use our services and it is necessary required or relevant for business or legal purposes.
Use of mobile devices
We have use versions of our regular website that have been optimised for mobile. These mobile websites process the personal details you give us in much the same way as our website does. With your consent, we may send you push notifications with information about your reservation.
Use of Volunteer Reviews and Ratings
After your volunteering event reserved through us, you will be invited to submit a volunteer review. This invite may ask for information about your particular volunteering experience, improvement feedback, and things that the organizer does well. By completing a volunteer review, you are agreeing that it can be displayed on, for example, the relevant volunteering information page on our websites, in our social media accounts, or on the website of the relevant organizer/partner’s website, to share with other volunteers about the quality of your volunteering experience. Do note that at this point, your reviews will only be visible to the organizer and NOT displayed online.
The ratings of your volunteering experience (aggregated together with other volunteer ratings) will be displayed on thevolunteerswitchboard.org. This can help other volunteers to choose the volunteering opportunity that suits them best.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small amount of data that is placed in the browser of your computer or on your mobile device. This Privacy and Cookies Policy applies to cookies and similar technologies (hereafter together referred to as “cookies”).
Why are cookies used?
Web pages have no memory. If you are surfing from page to page within a website, you will not be recognized as the same user across pages. Cookies allow you to be recognized as the same user across the pages of a website. Cookies also allow your choices to be remembered – choices such as the language you prefer, the currency you use and your search criteria. They will also make sure you are recognized when you return to a website.
The Volunteer Switchboard Cookies?
VSB uses a session cookie to keep you logged in throughout your visit to the Site.
VSB uses persistent cookies to "personalize" the Site for each user by remembering information about the user's visit to and activities on the Site, e.g., your log-in details so that you do not need to re-enter them at your next visit to the Site.
VSB also uses persistent cookies or page tags to analyze your surfing behavior and your visit to the Site enabling us to improve the Site and our services and to tailor our advertising (via email, on our Site, and on other websites) according to the interests of our users. Such cookies and page tags gather information about the pages you visited on the Site and the searches you performed.
Third party companies may use persistent cookies to analyze your surfing behavior on and your visit to this Site as well as other web sites enabling us to improve the Site and our services. Website analytics platforms may be used to collect unidentifiable information for reports such as impression reporting, demographic reporting and interest reporting. The providers we use are committed to building consumer awareness and establishing responsible business and data management practices and standards.
In order to control the collection of data for analytical purposes by Google Analytics, you may want to visit the following link: Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
Managing your cookie preferences
Using your browser settings in, for example, Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox or Chrome, you can set which cookies to accept and which to reject. Where you find these settings depends on which browser you use. Use the "Help" function in your browser to locate the settings you need.
If you choose not to accept certain cookies, you may not be able to use some functions on our website. However, we do not otherwise support “Do Not Track” browser settings. Opting out of an online advertising network does not mean that you will no longer receive or be subject to online advertising or marketing analysis. It means that the network from which you opted out will no longer deliver ads tailored to your web preferences and browsing patterns.
Access and Correction of your Personal Data
You may request access to or make corrections to your Personal Data records, by submitting your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you so request, provided that the request is of a reasonable nature, we will make available, within a reasonable time between 30 and 90 working days, an account of how your Personal Data was generally used or disclosed.
As you are responsible for providing correct and accurate Personal Data to VSB, we strongly discourage frivolous, excessive or unreasonable requests for access and correction to Personal Data, which will result in higher administration cost for VSB. VSB reserves the right to charge a reasonable administration fee for processing your request.
Last updated, October 2016